Ruiz demands £40m for a rematch with Joshua

70 total views, no views today

Barely one week when Andy Ruiz Jr stopped Joshua in the seventh round to become the new Heavyweight World Champion, the American-Mexican boxer has demanded a whooping sum of £40 million for a rematch with Nigerian born British boxer Anthony Joshua in the UK.

Ruiz, the huge underdog sprung a shock last weekend to drop Joshua four times before stopping him in the seventh round.

AJ immediately triggered the rematch clause with the second fight due to take place in November or December.

Cardiff’s Principality Stadium is the frontrunner to host the second installment with Madison Square Garden and the T-Mobile Arena also in the frame.

Ruiz is likely to pick up £10m for the rematch, double his purse for his first clash with Joshua – but he is ready to demand more.

“Right now my team, they are negotiating everything right now. I have just got to stay busy, stay healthy and be ready for the rematch,” Ruiz told Fight Hub.

“I would love it to be here in the United States or in Mexico you know. It all depends on the team and what they negotiate.

“If they want me to go over there (UK), they have to give me $50million. If they want to come over here… It’s just negotiations you know.”

Ruiz is keen to host the fight in Mexico, but that is highly unlikely with the terms of the rematch already agreed through the original contract.

And Joshua is confident he will reclaim his place at the top of the heavyweight division.

“Congratulations to Andy Ruiz, he has six months to be champion because the belts go in the air and he is going to have to defend against myself,” Joshua said.

“I would not mind if it was in … Read More...

Anthony Joshua may lose million-dollar sponsorship deals over Ruiz defeat

86 total views, no views today

British boxer, Anthony Joshua’s surprise defeat to Mexican-American boxer, Andy Ruiz Jr. in New York, on Saturday night June 1, has raised serious doubts among advertisers, who are likely to pull the plug on his multi-million dollars sponsorship deals.

Boxing analysts did not foresee the 29-year-old ceding his WBA, WBO, and IBF titles in such dramatic circumstances.

All the talk before the bout had focused on whether Joshua, previously undefeated in his first 22 professional fights, would next take on a high-profile opponent in Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury.
“Anthony Joshua’s invincibility has gone and he is now just a mere mortal,” said former British heavyweight, David Haye.

Anthony Joshua was paid $25 million, while Andy Ruiz Jr. got $7 million for their fight at Madison Square Garden, in which Joshua lost the WBA, WBO, and IBF Heavyweight Championships to Ruiz.

Not only is Anthony Joshua a formidable force in the ring, he boasts of an impressive portfolio of commercial endorsements.

The former heavyweight champion has quickly become a lucrative figure in his own right, striking deals with big name brands such as JD, Lucozade Sport and Beats and many more.
Ranging from clothing to television and cars, Joshua has an extensive collection of endorsements from which he reportedly earned £2.7 million in 2017.

Team AJ brand depends very much on Joshua’s success. With over 240,000 tickets reportedly sold for his previous three fights and an impressive 22-match winning streak, the British star’s image is bigger than ever.

In 2015, Joshua embarked on a joint venture with Freddie Cunningham and set up their own company, AJ Boxing and Commercial, primarily earning money through 13 sponsorship deals.
This collection of sponsors is the marketing force behind ‘Team AJ,’ promoting the brand and its image across a … Read More...

Andy Ruiz stuns Anthony Joshua to win World Heavyweight belt

39 total views, 1 views today

British heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua was knocked down by Mexican-American boxer Andy Ruiz Jr in the world heavyweight bout at Madison Square Garden, New York on Saturday night.

Joshua put Ruiz down, as expected in the third, before backtracking and suffering his own crisis at the New York venue.

A massive underdog, Ruiz looked assured compared to the four-belt heavyweight champion, picking his moments until the end.

That fate came in the seventh round. Joshua was shaken for the third time in the fight as Ruiz pushed towards unified title status.

Looking completely useless, Joshua was stopped on his feet as a shocked crowd watched on in awe.

Joshua, previously undefeated and fighting for the first time in the United States, was defending his IBF, WBA and WBO titles but was knocked down four times in the fight before the referee waved off the contest in the seventh.

Joshua said he could have fought on but had no harsh words for the referee.

“I want to fight. I am never one of those fighters to disrespect a referee like, ‘he should have done this’ or ‘he should have done that,’” he added.

“He called it off when he thought I couldn’t fight. It’s a shame. But I don’t want anyone to drown in their sorrows.”

The defeat was a setback but Joshua said he would be back.

“Boxing is a tough sport. I trained hard, I stayed dedicated. And I just got beat by a good fighter tonight,” he said. “It’ll be interesting to see how far he goes but good luck to him.

 

Anthony Nlebem

Source link Read More...

Wilder retains WBC heavyweight crown, says Joshua fight must happen

61 total views, no views today

Deontay Wilder knocked out Dominic Breazeale in the 1st round to retain his WBC heavyweight crown at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Wilder, 33, demolished his fellow American with 43 seconds of the opening round left – taking his record to 41 wins and a draw from 42 bouts.

Breazeale was on the ropes early on before finding a solid shot to respond to the champion.

But Wilder finished the fight moments later with a huge right hand.

Speaking about his potential contests with British heavyweights Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua, Wilder said:  “no doors are closed” and that such fights “are in discussion”.

“All parties involved are talking,” Wilder told Showtime. “There’s too many people and opinions involved. It will take our teams to sit down, handle things, squash everything and get it done for the fans.

“The big fights will happen the way we all benefit. We risk our lives in here, so let us get our time to iron out our differences and you guys will know when it happens.”

Breazeale, 33, left the ring without talking to the media, fresh from a punch that left him sprawled on the canvas and unable to answer the count.

His counter-punch when cornered had briefly seen Wilder engage in a couple of grapples but – after a pause for breath – the champion followed a left-hand jab with a right to the jaw which was as accurate as it was destructive.

It was a 40th victory by knockout for Wilder and just a second career loss for Breazeale, following his 2016 defeat by Anthony Joshua.

“The power is real, it’s something that I don’t have to really train for,” said Wilder, who is convinced a showdown … Read More...